Gwylfa Hiraethog, the 'Watch-tower of Hiraethog', is not an ancient fortress, but an early twentieth-century shooting lodge. It was built in 1913 for the Merseyside millionaire politician Hudson Ewbanke Kearley, first Viscount Devonport. He was the founder of International Stores, Liberal MP for Devonport and the first chairman of the Port of London Authority. He sold the lodge in 1925. It was subsequently used as accommodation by gamekeepers but it gradually fell into ruins. Photographs from the 1970s show it still roofed, but it is now a huge, gaunt shell which dominates the skyline for miles around like a Tolkienesque nightmare.